Monday 6 August 2012

Experiments in Wedding Jewellery...

Well, I have not been good at updating this blog. Perhaps I should set myself a reminder to update it at least once a week... I think that's do-able.

I've been busily making lots of beautiful jewellery recently. I did a craft fair yesterday (that's a blog post all of it's own) and I've also been lucky enough to have been asked to make the bridal jewellery and accessories of three of my friends. (I've got to that age where all my friends appear to be getting married and having babies!). I think it's a really honour to be asked to make the jewellery for someone's wedding. I know it's not what people are looking at, but good jewellery can enhance a wedding dress. This is particularly challenging for me because I am making things I have never made before, including a birdcage veil and a tiara!

The first wedding I was commissioned to make the jewellery for was for my gorgeous friend Rachel, who I have known since secondary school. We were very good friends at school and through sixth form college but then lost touch a bit during university. Recently, through the magic of Facebook we have been put back in touch and Rach is one of my best customers! When she asked me to make her jewellery I was really pleased. Luckily she gave me a very clear brief, wanting very simple earrings and a bracelet, with a hint of orange using gold findings. So, I found some tiny Swarovski crystals in "Fire Opal" which was the perfect shade of orange and teamed them with gold findings and stunning freshwater pearls.
I also made a pearl bracelet using more freshwater pearls and a final pair of earrings as well. Rachel wasn't sure which ones would look best with the dress - the long dangly ones might be a bit much - but now she has a choice :) I love the heart clasp for the bracelet - fitting for a wedding I felt!



My next project is a birdcage veil for my friend Becky's wedding...I'll put photos up when I have finished it. I have also made her bridesmaid a beaded hairband which compliments the colour of the dress. The hairband photos appear to be on my phone so once I've worked out how to get them off I'll put them up here...

Update: Here is the picture of Becky's hair band for one of the bridesmaids. See next post for the matching hair comb!

If you're getting married and would like some bespoke jewellery for the occasion, please get in contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment