Thursday 16 September 2010

Colourful and Unusual

I was recently asked to make a necklace for a friend's sister. I was asked for something "colourful" and "unusual", with a lean towards bright and bold. I struggled to find anything suitable, until I was browsing this month's Bead Magazine (August/September Issue). On the front cover was a gorgeous necklace...intrigued I read on.

Made from Tagua slices, this necklace ticked all the boxes. Tagua is also known as vegetable ivory or tagua nut, tagua is the hard inner part of a seed that comes from ivory palms, a small family of trees that grow in the tropical rainforests of South America. I looked up the supplier and ordered two kits.

Below is the end result. I'm really happy with what I've made and am sorry to see it go out of my hands. I have made two though... (Must remember to sell my wares, not keep them!)


If you like what you see, contact me! The Tagua Necklace is £10 plus P&P.

4 comments:

  1. Oooooh, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooo cool! I never would have thought of using tagua that way (and of course I never shall having seen yours -- you rock!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have used them but for the instructions in a magazine - I'd never heard of them before. Any tips for how else to use them gratefully received - I think they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete